How to Create a Great Grilling Patio in Your Backyard
One of the best parts of having a backyard is having a space for outdoor entertainment. The best type of entertainment revolves around — you guessed it — food. There’s nothing better than grilling up some burgers and hotdogs on a hot summer afternoon, right?
How can you create a great patio for grilling in your backyard? The perfect patio might sound simple, but it involves a lot of different moving parts you might not have considered. The good news is investing in an outdoor patio space will help you not only create an outdoor oasis, but it will also be an effective way to increase your home’s value. If you’re dreaming about the ultimate outdoor patio space, keep reading for some tips.
1. Choose Comfortable and Classic Flooring
The first step is to decide what outdoor flooring you want to use. You have a few different options, some more expensive than others. Ultimately, you want your flooring to be easy to maintain, look great, and be able to withstand the elements. Here are the most popular choices:
- Wood Decking – We all love the look of a classic wooden deck in the backyard, but recognize that wood is also notorious for being high-maintenance. Some types of wood will run you around $15 a square foot while more expensive types will run at over $25 a square foot.
- Stone Tile – There’s something glamorous about classic stone patio tiles. In fact, most of the “stone” patios you see aren’t actually stone. They’re usually porcelain tile which is more durable than natural stone. These can run you around $2 per square foot while still looking upscale.
- Artificial Grass – One of the latest trends is to install artificial grass. No, this isn’t the astroturf you know from the 80s, this is incredibly realistic faux grass. If you live in a location where it’s not feasible to maintain real grass, this is an inexpensive option that costs significantly less than real grass.
2. Choose Your Grill
It goes without saying that if you want to create a patio for grilling, you need to actually purchase a grill. The good news is you have a lot of options on this front. There are super high-end models that rival the greatest restaurants nearby and then there are some bargain options.
No matter what you choose, you’ll still be able to have fun in the backyard sun. Some of the larger grills start at around $229, so consider what space you have. If you’d like to take your grill on the go, opt for something portable or small. Otherwise, switch it up with a non-traditional grill like a pizza oven. Yum!
3. Install Cabinets and Bars
Your outdoor cooking space wouldn’t be complete without some usable space. Since we’re talking about an outdoor kitchen, why not add some cabinets and a bar? This makes your backyard much more functional since you’ll now be able to store things safely outside for quick access.
There are a lot of durable, inexpensive options for creating your outdoor kitchen. The most popular option is to use stainless-steel cabinets which are the most durable, but you can also find waterproof, marine-grade polymer.
4. Set Your Table
Even if you can’t afford the most luxurious grill, you can still create a patio space perfect for outdoor entertaining just by setting a great table. You can find a variety of outdoor tables at your local home stores, but don’t feel like you have to go all out. Smaller tables work just as well, and so do picnic blankets (especially on artificial grass).
To deck your table out for the summertime, add some fun accents. Use a table cloth or table runner, add some fresh flowers, and maybe even some pillar candles. You can pick all of these things up for just a few dollars. To take your grilling party into the late-night hours, make sure you have a lantern or some string lights to keep the party going.
Prepare Your Patio for Grilling in Your Backyard
Are you ready for summertime? The grilling months are officially in full swing, so why not follow these tips above to make sure your patio is ready for summer fun. From entertaining guests to hosting a night together as a family, grilling is a great way to bring people together.
How ready is your patio for grilling in your backyard? If it needs an update, look no further than these tips above. You’ll be grilling in no time.